Wednesday, October 18, 2006

October 5, 2006



Dear Mr. Pineda:

Thank you for contacting me about the pending decision by the
National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) pertaining to the definition of a
supervisor for private-sector nurses. I appreciate hearing from you
and
welcome the opportunity to respond.

Like you, I believe it is important that American workers have
the right to organize. In 2001, the United States Supreme Court ruled
in
NLRB v. Kentucky River Community Care, Inc. that the NLRB had erred
in its previous interpretation of Federal law by allowing nurses at the
Kentucky River facility to join a labor union. The Court's decision
determined that health care workers in private hospitals could not join
labor organizations if they drew upon their professional or technical
judgment in directing less-skilled employees to deliver services.
Please
be assured that I recognize your concern that the NLRB's new definition
could potentially affect not only nurses, but supervisory definitions
in
other professions, and I will continue to closely monitor this
situation.

Once again, thank you for writing. I hope you will continue to
keep me informed on issues of importance to you. If you have any
additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my
Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.





Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

http://feinstein.senate.gov

Further information about my position on issues of concern to
California and the Nation are available at my website
http://feinstein.senate.gov. You can also receive electronic e-mail
updates by subscribing to my e-mail list at
http://feinstein.senate.gov/issue.html.

No comments:

ADD This